30 min|Serves 8-10
- 2 ½ lb (1.25 kg) green beans, stems trimmed
- ½ c (4 fl oz/125 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Sherry Vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 2 tsp dry thyme
- 2 tsp glutten free Tamari or Bragg’s liquid amino
- 1 tsp organic palm coconut sugar or maple syrup
- Sea salt & ground pepper, to taste
- 3 large red onions, cut in half and sliced ½- ⅓ inch thick
- ½ cup vegan cheese of choice (parmesan, or crumbled cashew cheese)
- Sea salt & ground pepper to finish
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
Fill a large pot with 3/4th full of water, add salt. Bring the water to boil over high heat. Add the beans to the boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and cool the beans with cold water. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, sherry vinegar , Tamari or Bragg’s, sweetener of choice and thyme
Place the onion slices in a bowl, top with about a ⅓ of the vinaigrette and give them a good toss with your hands or a big spoon.
Transfer the onion mixture to the baking sheet, spread in a single layer.
Broil for about 8-12 minutes without turning. The baking sheet should be about 3 inches below the heat source. Once caramelized, remove from oven.
How to serve
First layer the beans, top with the onions, drizzle with the rest of the vinaigrette. Top with salt and pepper and a sprinkling of vegan cheese of your choice. Garnish with walnuts for an extra texture and crunch!
This is a beautiful dish to serve for the winter months and the holidays